History of Hampton Elementary School
Hampton Elementary School, located in rural South Carolina, first opened its doors in 1954. Interestingly, it was built on property that had seen service as a Prisoner of War Camp during World War II.
The school originally served students in grades one to eight. When students entered first grade, they were divided into two sections and remained in these groups for the next eight years.
The first principal of the school was Ernest H. Boland, who served in this position until his retirement in 1989. During his tenure, Mr. Boland supervised the smooth transition to racially integrated education as well as the introduction of air conditioning, carpet and computers to the facility. When in 1985 a six-classroom wing was added, it was appropriately named the E. H. Boland Wing in recognition of his exceptional service.
Today, Hampton Elementary still looks like the Eisenhower school that it is. It has an updated entrance and the E. H. Boland Wing. In 2010, a state-of-the-art gymnasium and classrooms were added during Administrator Eric Robinson's tenure. The gym has been an excellent addition to the school and is also used to help serve the community. The county's population has increased, and the school now serves about 500 students in grades four through six with a student teacher ratio of 22 to 1. Even though Hampton Elementary is in a relatively small and rural district, the school shows a determination to remain progressive. The school has three computer labs and each classroom is networked to the internet.
Hampton Elementary is fortunate to have a very low personnel-turnover rate. This provides stability within the community, as teachers and families know each other. The students and faculty enjoy a safe environment which a small, rural town fosters. Hampton Elementary School has served and continues to serve its community well.